We had these for dinner on Monday night and they were delicious!! I don’t know if it’s true, but I like to think they’re healthier than a regular chimichanga would be, because they’re not actually fried. We also used whole wheat tortillas. Regardless, we’ll be having them again 🙂
- 2 -3 lbs shredded beef or 2 -3 lbs shredded pork or 2 -3 lbs shredded chicken, cooked (We used pork, made in the crock pot.)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles, chopped (we used green chilies)
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 -10 large tortillas (white flour or whole wheat)
- After stewing the meat in a crockpot, shred and chop meat-set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic with just a touch of oil and cook until onion is just browning.
- Add the meat, chilies, oregano, salt and red pepper and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Warm tortillas in the oven so they are bendable.
- Lay out 3 or 4 at a time and slightly off center place some cheese and then about 1/2 a cup of meat mixture and fold envelope style.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet-repeat.
- Lightly oil the tops and bake in a 425 oven for 20 minutes or a 375 oven for 35-40 minutes-your choice. (We did 425 for 20 minutes.)
I wish I’d taken a picture, so you could see how delicious they looked, but I didn’t – you’ll have to take my word on it!!