*My mother thinks I share too much on here sometimes, so if you agree with her, you might not want to keep reading. I’ll be using words like “dilated” and “cervical check.” You’ve now been sufficiently warned 🙂
Last week at my doctor’s appointment, he informed me that it was the last appointment that I got to remain fully dressed for. This week’s appointment was the Group Strep B test. As he was getting ready, he went into what I’m sure is his standard 36-week spiel about how even though he’s ‘in the area’ he can’t do a cervical check, because I’m not yet considered full-term. He continued on to tell me that he’ll check me next week and that a podunk study out of Tennessee has shown that women who get early cervical checks deliver their babies, on average, one week earlier than women who don’t get the checks.
When he took a breath, I interrupted and asked if he thinks the results of a cervical check really mean anything. He said no, which was my theory based on my experience with Chloe. (I was 4-5 cm dilated and 100% effaced for almost a week before I delivered.) So then I asked if I had to get checked, although I was pretty sure the answer was no. He confirmed my theory and said if I didn’t want to get checked, just to leave my clothes on when the nurse left the room next week.
One part of me is thinking I won’t get checked next week. I know it doesn’t really mean much. With Chloe, I hadn’t had a single contraction until he checked me, so I really feel like him checking did trigger something in my body – even if it was almost a full week before she was born. I feel like it’s important for BabyD to make it as close to his due date as possible. Chloe was healthy at 38 weeks, but she did have jaundice, which I know is more likely to occur in babies born a couple weeks early. I don’t want to do anything that might encourage my body to go into labor, I think getting checked did that last time, so I really should wait to get checked this time. Makes sense, right??
However, I’m also thinking that since I was 4cm dilated without ever feeling a contraction with Chloe Mae, and this time around I’ve been having uncomfortable contractions daily for weeks now, that maybe I should get checked. I mean, if I know I’m already 4cm+ and the contractions increase in intensity or frequency, I probably want to go to the hospital sooner rather than later. That kinda makes sense too, right??
So, I’ll spend the next week trying to decide: Do I get checked at my appointment next week or not??