At 30 weeks, I can tell this is a different pregnancy this time around.
-My heartburn isn’t as bad as it was with Chloe Mae – I only have to take Tums about once a day, not multiple times a day.
-My hip and lower back pain seems to have subsided – instead I’m having more mid and upper back pain.
-I’m already unable to reach my toes, and being in the heart of summer, I need to have pretty toes.
-I didn’t have a single Braxton Hicks contraction that I was aware of with Chloe, but I’m having them all day, every day with Devon. The Dr. says this is because I’m a veteran now and my uterus knows it needs to beef up to help me through child labor. I get it, but seriously – ugh!!
-Here’s my seriously ginormous belly, complete with stretch marks. Those were also absent at 30 weeks with Chloe. This time around, the old stretch marks have already gotten some new friends.
I was deemed ‘boring’ again by the doctor at the beginning of my appointment today. There was one minor exception 5 minutes later when my appointment was over. I’m still measuring big – 32 cm at 30 weeks. Since I grew 4 cm in the last 4 weeks, which is the normal growth rate, he wasn’t terribly concerned, but I will be having an ultrasound at my next appointment in 2 weeks. He says there’s a 95% chance that there won’t be anything wrong, so I’m working on being only 5% worried.
Not much is new in the world of MamaMort and BabyMort. I’m continuing with some of the same, not-so-fun symptoms, but it could be worse, so I’m trying not to complain too much. BabyMort has pretty much all of her vital systems developed and will spend the next few weeks gaining weight and practicing the essentials of life.
Officially, we have 5 weeks to go. Based on what I’ve read though, most babies come between 38-42 weeks, so in reality, we have between 3-7 weeks left. Wow – sometimes I just have to take a deep breath and remember that we’re ready, or at least ready enough.
- We completed our childbirth classes tonight, so I feel comfortable with the idea of labor and delivery. (I’m sure the reality of it will be totally different!!)
- We have a car seat, so we can get her home.
- We have a basket full of hand-me-down onesies, bodysuits and sleepers, so we can dress her.
- We have a crib, mattress and some sheets, so she has somewhere to sleep.
- We’re planning on breastfeeding, so that’s covered. We even have bottles and some free formula that we got from the doctor’s office, so we can feed her if our plans go awry.
- We have the newborn prefolds and covers washed and ready to go, so we have diapers to get us started.
So, we can meet her and we can get her home. We can clothe her and we’ve got eating, sleeping and pooping covered. Newborns don’t do much more than that, right?? And the good news is that if she sticks it out and stays put until after Saturday, we’ll have even more stuff thanks to some wonderful friends and family, because Saturday is my baby shower!!
I am absolutely exhausted. Dead tired. Thoroughly beat. Downright tuckered out.
I thought I was tired the day after Prom in high school when I was basically up for 24 hours straight. I thought I was exhausted after working 31 our of 37 consecutive hours at the hotel one weekend. Even in my first trimester, I thought I was just plum tuckered out. I realize now that was nothing compared to how I’ve been feeling the last few days.
Unfortunately for those around me, that means I’m also crabby, testy, irritable or “sensitive” if you’re being nice.
My amazing husband (he really is) has the bewildered look down pat. I don’t blame him for looking at me like I’m crazy, because I feel a bit like that sometimes when I’m upset for no particular reason. He does what he can – rubs my back when I’m trying to get to sleep and preemptively brings me cookies or candy sometimes, assuming that I’m cranky. And for the record, bringing me baked goods or candy will cheer me up for a bit at least. My mom knows me well enough to count on this and brought chocolate cake when they came over the other night.
I blame my tiredness on the obvious – I am growing a baby!! – and the related, but less obvious. I have trouble falling asleep, because I have too much running through my mind – What do we still need to do to get the nursery done? Will I have a job after BabyMort arrives? What will we do about our finances if I don’t? Did I change the dog’s vet appointment? The list goes on and on… Once I’m lucky enough to fall asleep, I wake up because of heartburn, achey hips and/or back, because I have to pee, because I’m thirsty or because one of my extremities is asleep. Usually, once I wake up, I start thinking about all the things that kept me up in the first place and the fun starts all over again.
I have a plan to (hopefully) get at least a few nights good sleep though. I have yoga tonight and I usually sleep pretty well after that. Then I made a chiropractor’s appointment for first thing tomorrow morning, hoping that after stretching at yoga, he’ll actually be able to adjust me and relieve some of my back and hip pain (something he hasn’t been able to do since for 20 weeks now…) And the (chocolate buttercream) icing on the (chocolate) cake – I’m getting a massage on Saturday!! We’ll put blankets over the windows in the bedroom Saturday night so the rising sun doesn’t interrupt my slumber on Sunday morning and I’d be perfectly happy sleeping until Monday morning if possible 😀
Hopefully I’ll look something like this:
I had another doctor’s appointment today. I’m really hoping that our doctor will be around when I deliver, because he never fails to make me laugh. Today, he came in and started writing in my chart – putting down that it was my 30 week appointment. Then he stopped, held my chart up and said, “Well this is just wrong. You’re 75% done and we’re still on the first page, all black ink. I don’t feel like I’m earning my money here!” He proceeded to measure me and listen to her heartbeat. He said he’d take anything, “a yeast infection or a stretch mark. Just something so I feel better about taking the money.” After listening to her heartbeat, he let out a big, fake yawn and said, “30 weeks and the heartbeat’s 140. Boring…” Then we agreed that boring is good (even if he does claim to feel guilty!!)
30 week belly shot
It’s amazing how much has changed in the 20 weeks since I wrote this post. At 10 weeks, BabyMort weighed about a quarter of an ounce and was about an inch long. Now, she’s about 3 pounds and 16 inches long. Our “little kumquat” has become our “little cabbage.” It doesn’t sound quite as endearing, does it??
I still feel sick a lot, but now it’s heartburn, not morning sickness. The fatigue I thought I was experiencing at 10 weeks is nothing compared to how tired I am now and I still have trouble sleeping (or have trouble again – I had a few months when I felt fairly ‘normal.’) In addition, now my everything hurts and I’ve accepted that I’ll only get more uncomfortable in the coming weeks.
However…I now have the joy of feeling her move around and knowing that “it” is a “her” (although I’d prefer if she’d keep herself out of my ribcage!!) I’m also lucky enough to have had a healthy pregnancy, something I was very worried about at 10 weeks, when we hadn’t even heard her heartbeat yet. The next 10 weeks don’t seem like an eternity away like 30 weeks did. In fact, it feels like we hardly have any time at all to get ready for her arrival!!
Like I said before – We’re getting an amazing little girl out of this, so I can deal. Plus, I’m already 75% of the way through my pregnancy!!
According to BabyCenter, BabyMort weighs about 2 1/4 pounds and is 14.8 inches long. She can open and close her eyes – her eyes that now have cute little eyelashes. She’s adding on body fat and her muscle tone is improving.
I’m feeling pretty good. I’ve still been having heartburn, hip pain and lower back pain. I’ve had trouble falling asleep the past couple nights, but I think I’m just adjusting to the time change. The good news, is that once I’ve fallen asleep, I’ve been sleeping much better and woken up with less back achiness. Thanks new bed!!
At 28 weeks, I’m considered to be in my 3rd trimester, regardless of what you read. (Different sources have it starting anywhere between week 26 and now.) 28 weeks feels like a much bigger milestone for me, personally, though. My mom delivered my older brother by emergency c-section at only 28 weeks. When she was pregnant with me, she was put on bedrest at 28 weeks and I still arrived 7 weeks early.
This is what my brother looked like at 2 days old. When he was born, he weighed in at 2 pounds and was 14.5 inches long. He spent the next 12 weeks in the hospital and had a lot of close calls. My mom and dad were told that he would have cerebal palsy and would be in a wheelchair. Well, 25 years later…
…here he is with his beautiful 2-day-old daughter.
Although my brother is living proof that a baby could survive, and thrive – living a normal, healthy life – if born at this point, I hope that Chloe will happily stay put for the next 12 weeks (or at least close!!) growing bigger and stronger every day. I consider myself lucky that I’ve had a healthy pregnancy so far and hope that I will continue to be so lucky!!